Do you need to switch from Office 2013 to Office 365?
Well our Office 365 install guide makes it quick and easy!
Office 365 offers many benefits over its predecessors.
It’s cloud based which allows you to access it from anywhere and includes up to 27GB of storage.
Office 365 is sold in both a subscription model and as a perpetual license.
Your license for Office 365 can be installed on both Windows 7 and 8 and on up to five devices.
And not to forget all the apps that come with the suite and its touch-screen capability. If you want to learn more about Office 365 checkout these resources.
How To Install Office 365 On A Windows-Based Machine
1. First navigate to portal.microsoftonline.com
2. Login with your usual Office 365 user accounts.
You’ll then be presented with a home screen and on the right-hand side you’ll see “Resources
3. Click “Downloads” and this will display all available downloads on your account.
Download Microsoft Office Professional Plus
4. First choose the appropriate language, in our case this was “English.”
5. Then you’ll choose the appropriate operating system either 32 or 64-bit in this case and click “Install.”
There have been compatibility issues with plugins and other applications associated with Office because many aren’t compatible with 64-bit. Due to these issues the 64-bit install that is shown here has been hidden away. For more information on how to download the 64-bit version of Office 365 checkout How-To Geek’s “How to Install 64-Bit Version of Office 365 for Windows.”
5. Hit “Run” in the popup that will appear at the bottom of your screen.
After that your installation will begin. This procedure may take up to about 20 minutes depending on the download speed of your internet connection.
6. Once the download is complete you’ll need to accept the license agreement and click “Continue”
7. Press “Install Now” and installation will begin.
8. The installation procedure will take a few moments to complete. Once Microsoft Professional Plus is installed hit “Close”
You’ll then be prompted to login to your Office 365 account to verify the subscription.
9. Enter Office 365 username and password and hit “Sign in”
10. After signing in you’ll then need to wait for verification to complete.
11. Once your account has been verified hit “Close”
Next you’ll need to install Microsoft Lync.
How to Install Microsoft Lync
1. Just like before we will start by choosing your appropriate language. Again in our case this is English. Then you’ll need to choose your version, which for us is “32-bit” and hit “Install”.
You’ll then have a popup at the bottom of your screen, hit “Run” to start download and setup the program.
Download times vary based on internet connection
2. Once setup program begins lync may not come to the foreground, in this case click the lync icon on your task bar and hit “Install”. This will install any prerequisites and then install Microsoft Lync.
3. Upon completion click “Start Lync”to uncheck and hit “Close”
This is because you need to run the desktop configurator first.
Run Windows Desktop Configuration
4. To run the desktop configurator you’ll need to select “setup” from the downloads page.
5. After selecting set up you’ll be prompted to login to your Office 365 Account where you’ll enter in your username and password.
This will check your system for any required updates.
6. Once the checks are complete hit “Continue” to install any updates.
7. Next you’ll need to review and accept the license agreement by clicking the “I Accept” button.
Again the installation time will vary based on your internet connection.
8. Upon completion of installing updates and configuring applications hit “Finish”
Now you will need to configure your Microsoft Outlook.
Configure Microsoft Outlook for Office 365
1. First you’ll need to navigate to Outlook by clicking the start menu and choosing “All Programs”.
2. Once you’ve chosen all programs find and click on “Microsoft Office” and choose your Microsoft Outlook.
In this example it’s Microsoft Outlook 2010.
2. When Outlook starts you’ll see a welcome popup where you’ll want to select “Next >”
3. You’ll then be sent to the “Account Configuration” page choose “Yes” and hit the “Next >” button again.
4. You’ll then arrive at a page to add a new account. The details required are your name and office 365 login details and then you’ll hit “Next >” when you’re ready to proceed.
5. This will now configure your email account and you’ll click “Finish”
Wait a few moments to configure the Outlook profile. It will then check whether it is the default mail client. If you would like Microsoft Outlook to be your default mail client click “Yes” if not choose “No”.
6. Next you will be asked to help improve Microsoft Outlook. If you choose “Use Recommended Settings” you may receive a warning, click “Ok”.
Outlook will then start updating the mailbox. The status will be displayed in the bottom right side of your screen.
Next you’ll need to configure Microsoft Lync.
Configure Microsoft Lync for Office 365
1. To configure Microsoft Lynch you’ll navigate to your start menu and choose “Microsoft Lync” icon.
2. Lync usually opens upon startup. If you are prompted for your login information for Office 365 enter your Sign-in address and password.
Lync will then connect.
3. When Lync first opens you’ll receive a popup welcome video which you can close.
And lync is now configured. Simple as that!
If you had any trouble with the following steps checkout this Office 365 for business troubleshooting page.
You’ve Successfully Installed Office 365
Congratulation! If you followed all of the steps listed above correctly you should now have Office 365 successfully running on your machine. We covered how to download Microsoft Office Professional Plus, how to install and configure Microsoft Lync, how to run your desktop configurator and how to configure Microsoft Outlook. If you enjoyed this tutorial share it with your friends!
If you’d like to watch the video of how to install Office 365 on a Windows based machine you can checkout the video below.