Skype allows anyone using their app to easily find the IP address of other Skype users.
Why would you need to find another user’s IP address? Well while Skype is a great way to stay connected with friends and family or even for business, it is possible to receive spam and other unwanted messages from other Skype users. In this day and age with constant hacking and online bullying it is important now more than ever to protect yourself from online threats and abuse.
If you are receiving any online threats or unwanted messages on the app you can use the Google Code project Skype resolver Skyip by SpixSoft, to find your abuser and report them.
What is a Skype Resolver?
A Skype resolver is a tool that identifies the IP address of any Skype user by their username. Once you have the abuser’s IP address you can find their personal information such as their PayPal name, Facebook, location, etc. If the abuser has made a serious threat or scammed you in some way you can now use this information to report them to the proper authorities. The most common thing you can do with an IP address is DDOSING. With DDOSING or Deliberate Denial of Service you can send anything to somebody’s modem. The package that you send can overload their modem and shutdown their network connection. The person will be unable to use the internet from any device that connects to the overloaded modem or network.
How to Use Skype Resolver
It is very easy to use most Skype resolvers.
- Just log in on Skype and find the person whom you wish to find their IP address.
- Right click on the name and to go to their profile.
- Now to copy the name, right click on the profile name and copy. Now you have the account name.
- Go to the resolver and paste it there.
- The resolver will inform you whether the user has a VPN or not. If a VPN is detected, then the resolver tool will ddose the IP of the VPN server only. If no VPN is detected, it means it is their real IP address.
There are both free and paid Skype resolvers available online. To find just google Skype resolver and choose the one that you feel is the most reputable.
These tools are very well known and if you attempt to DDose the IP address of someone, it is possible for them to find your IP address and find out your information. It is suggested that if you are going to use a Skype resolver to use a VPN.
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!
If you can use the Skype resolver to find someone’s IP address can’t they do the same to you to abuse your personal information?
The answer is yes and no. In late 2013, Skype released an update that allowed you to change your privacy settings preventing anyone not on your contact list from viewing your IP address. However, if you have an older version of Skype or your username has been previously looked up by a Skype resolver and your IP address hasn’t changed since, your IP address can still be viewed by those not in your direct contacts.
Protect your IP Address on your PC
To prevent people from finding your IP address on Skype
- The first step you need to do is download or update to the latest version of Skype for your Windows or Mac device.
- Once you have downloaded the latest version open up Skype and go to your options located in “Tools” for Windows users and “Preferences” for Mac users.
- Now go to the “Advanced” and double click the “Connection” tab.
- First fill in the port you would like to use for incoming connections.
- Check off the “Use port 80 and 443 for additional incoming connections” box.
- Under that use the dropdown box to select “HTTPS”.
- Fill in your IP address in the box next to “Host” and your port number in the box next to “Port”.
- Go down and check the “Enable uPnP” box.
- Now restart Skype.
- After you’ve restarted Skype find your way back to the “Connection” tab and check the box at the bottom “Allow direct connections to your contacts only.”
- Click “Save” to update your profile.
Your computer should now be protected from users trying to abuse your IP address via your Skype connection. But if you’ve ever logged into Skype via your mobile phone or tablet your IP address can be found there as well.
Protect your IP Address on Mobile Devices
To prevent individuals from finding your IP address from an android, apple, or any mobile device you will have to use a VPN because the settings listed above are not available.
Now you know how to protect yourself from spammers and scammers on Skype and keep your information private.